History

The search for a permanent home for the Scandinavian community began in earnest more than 50 years ago in 1958, with discussions between four major groups: the Danish Canadian Club, the Norwegian Glee Club, the Swedish Male Voice Choir and the Viking Club. As the idea grew, so did the list of groups interested in sharing a facility.

The Scandinavian Centre as an organization was first incorporated on November 2, 1961, with the subsequent purchase of a building on Young Street in March 1962. After 16 years, that building was sold in 1978, and the search for a new building began. Many locations were considered over the next four years, culminating in the selection and purchase of our current building in the fall of 1982.

The Centre is home for active cultural clubs representing all five Nordic countries: the Danish Canadian Club, Finnish Canadian Club, Icelandic Frón, Norwegian Canadian Club, and Swedish Cultural Association. There are also a number of associated groups, including the Scandinavian Stamp Collectors; the Scandinavian Folk Group, which organizes our annual Folklorama Pavilion; the Scandinavian Choir, the Scandia Fun Folk Dancers and the Scandia Young Folk Dancers.